How Do I Complete a 1031 Exchange Application?
When considering a 1031 exchange, you should complete the following steps to apply and ensure you get the benefits of the exchange:
Always begin by working with your financial and legal advisors to determine what assets you hold and whether you will qualify for the 1031 benefit. Be sure that the new property you are considering will save you money in the long run.
Contact your real estate agent, if you have one, and alert that agent to your intent to apply for a 1031 exchange.
Consider hiring a professional qualified intermediary to simplify the process of completing a 1031 exchange. If you do plan to hire a professional qualified intermediary, you should do so at this point.
With the help of your qualified intermediary, you need to gather and prepare documentation about the property owner and current or relinquished property. Some necessary documentation includes contact and identification documents for you, the property owner.
Complete the 1031 application, including submitting the documents prepared and wait for processing.
You have a 45-day period in which to identify the new property in which you plan to reinvest the income from the sale of your current property and begin the purchase process.
Submit relevant documents for the new, replacement property before a deadline of 180 days.
- What Is a 1031 Exchange?
- How Do I Choose a Qualified Intermediary for a 1031 Exchange?
- What Type of Property Can I Swap in a 1031 Exchange?
- What Are Some Advantages Provided by a 1031 Exchange?
- What Is the Timeline for a 1031 Exchange Application?
- How Can I Use a 1031 Exchange to Stop Managing Property?
- How Can I Take Advantage of a 1031 Exchange?
- How Long Do I Have to Complete a 1031 Exchange?
- What Is "Like-Kind" Property in a 1031 Exchange?
- What Is the "Boot" in a 1031 exchange?
- How Do I Fully Defer the Tax on the Sale of My Property through a 1031 Exchange?
- What Is a Delayed 1031 Exchange?
- What Is a Reverse 1031 Exchange?
- Do I Need an Intermediary for a 1031 Exchange?