How Can You Use Insurance to Protect Yourself From Disasters?

Make sure you know the conditions that will entitle you to receive payment from the insurance company. In the most basic policies, the coverage for damage caused by fire is common, while damage from mudslides, windstorms, and the weight of snow may be excluded. Mold is excluded in almost every new policy. Earthquake insurance on the building itself is typically separated from flood insurance. They are usually expensive and have high deductibles, but if your buildings are extremely vulnerable to earthquakes or floods, they are still a good choice. Regardless of what policy you decide on, read it carefully before you pay for it—not just when you have suffered a loss. Be sure to check out "loss of rents" insurance, which will reimburse you for the loss of rents from rental units that have been sidelined due to a fire or other calamity covered under your underlying property insurance. This coverage will kick in even if you are able to move the tenant to another vacant unit.