Can I Turn to a Government Agency to Complain Against a Mortgage Servicing Company?

Yes. After the 2008 mortgage crisis, consumer protection became an important issue for federal regulators. You can file a complaint with the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) if you are having problems with your mortgage servicing company. You also have the right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) for any violation of your rights under the Real Estate Settlement Procedure Act (RESPA). Likewise, note that the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) might be interested in your case, since mortgage-related fraud is considered an issue of high importance for the FBI. The FBI even has a specialized task force for investigating and dealing with mortgage-related fraud.

In addition, certain states have local entities which might be able to help you when you have problems with your loan servicing company. For example, in California you can file a complaint with the California Department of Business Oversight, the Attorney General's office, or other local entities to report illegal practices by your loan servicer.